New Zealand’s trusted decorating specialists, Our store is locally owned and operated. Our products including paint, wallpaper, flooring, Blinds and more
Guthrie Bowron are New Zealand’s home decorating specialists. We offer Kiwis everything they need to refresh their homes, as well as advice from experts in every store. Our vision is to be New Zealand’s most inspiring home decorating destination, helping Kiwis turn their houses into homes.
All stores are 100% locally owned and operated, and we are proud to have been a trusted New Zealand brand since 1896.
HISTORY OF GUTHRIE BOWRON
The Guthrie Bowron brand was founded in 1896 by Dunedin born Henry Guthrie who was soon after joined by George Bowron. Henry and George travelled throughout the South Island selling various products. In the mid 1920’s Guthrie Bowron became involved in importing lacquer, varnish, lead and linseed oil – the base ingredients for paint at the time. In 1932 Guthrie Bowron was appointed agent for Dulux Paints and around this time opened a wallpaper store in Christchurch.
Guthrie Bowron became a public company in 1963 and by 1969 had 18 branches throughout the country retailing mainly paint and wallpaper. In 1971 the company was purchased by ICI (NZ) Ltd the owner and manufacturer of the Dulux paint brand and by 1985 had 34 outlets.
In 1992 Guthrie Bowron was sold to a team of senior managers who set about franchising the stores. Over the next decade the business continued to grow as it became a solely franchise business. The business currently operates as a franchise, under the management of GBHC 2014 Limited.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.