Click here to find out more...
Parking Changes in Nelson City! First Hour Free!
Starting from 20 October and running until 6 April 2015, Nelson City Council will be trialling some changes to how parking works in the city. Here are the important things to know:
- You must display a ticket in all “Pay and Display” car parks but the first hour of parking is free in all areas within the CBD.
- Parking fees after the first free hour will be at the rate of $1.50 per hour.
- Please be aware that the Pay and Display meters will have two options to choose from. One is for the free hour option but if you want to stay longer, choose the other option. You still get the free hour and then pay for the extra time you choose. Clear instructions will be given on the meter screen so please follow them.
- The lollipop style meters don’t issue a ticket to display but do still offer the first hour free. If you want to stay longer than an hour, insert the money for the extra time you want to stay and the meter will automatically add your free hour.
- The Parking Bylaw and associated fees will apply from an hour earlier; 8am instead of 9am Monday to Friday (no change to Saturday).
- 26 new all free car parks will be available in Wakatu Square for carpooling permit holders, talk to Council about how to qualify to use these parks.
- Current parking time limits will still apply – check signs and meters for times.
- Free all day parking is available on the city fringes, for example Paru Paru Road and the Trafalgar Centre.
For more information please contact Nelson City Council, tel: (03) 546 0200.