Job Vacancy: Atelier Gallery is looking for a Gallery Assistant
Job Title: Gallery Assistant
Contract: Part time. One-year fixed-term (with potential to extend)
Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday [20 hours a week] Reporting to: Gallery Director
Location: Nelson CBD
To provide administrative, communications, sales, and exhibition support to the gallery director, ensure general maintenance of gallery space and maintain a warm, welcoming atmosphere in the gallery.
- Develop thorough understanding of the Gallery’s roster of artists, programme of exhibitions and philosophy and objectives.
- Staff the ‘front desk’ and proactively welcome and liaise with visitors to the gallery.
- Maintain excellent understanding of current exhibitions in order to convey to visitors the concepts behind each show.
- Hold keys to gallery and open and close gallery as appropriate.
- Switch-on and off exhibition, monitor exhibition working, alert people when things need fixing and fix as appropriate.
- Responsible for social media updates, news on the website and creating events through Facebook and Instagram.
- Responsible for archiving all press relating to gallery artists and exhibitions and updating press packs and artist portfolios.
Responsible for admin tasks such as:
- Updating gallery contacts and artwork databases on Art Galleria
- Ensuring all gallery artist CVs are kept up-to-date.
- Online mail-outs using Mail Chimp.
- Managing and maintaining gallery’s image library in good order, by resizing and filing images as necessary.
- Updating artists’ exhibitions and events in planner and website.
- Assist with collections, deliveries, shipping, and freight both to and from the gallery.
- Assist with installation and de-installation of exhibitions.
- Assist with private views and events management for gallery programming.
- Ensure office, kitchen, toilets and common parts are tidy (inc. loading/unloading dishwasher, keeping bathrooms stocked and tidy, right bin liners in bins, recycling etc.).
- Ensure office, kitchen and cleaning supplies are monitored and ordered.
- An interest in and knowledge of the contemporary art scene.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Energetic, committed, flexible team player with a self-starting, ‘can do’ approach and a strong sense of initiative.
- Computer (inc. Mac systems, InDesign, Photoshop) and Internet skills (inc. social networking sites).
- A degree in art history/visual art or a related discipline is preferable.
- Ability to work Tuesday-Thursday and evenings during programmed events.
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.
This Post Has 0 Comments