skip to Main Content

If someone has an urgent need for food or essential supplies, then they can call their local Council

Nelson Tasman Civil Defence Emergency Management Group have been working with Nelson City Council and Tasman District Council to provide a hotline for people with urgent welfare needs.
If someone has an urgent need for food or essential supplies, then they can call their local Council:
Nelson City Council 03 546 0200
Tasman District Council 03 543 8400

People will then be directed to the appropriate service to provide assistance.

The support service is for people who do not have friends, family or neighbours who can provide assistance.
Remember, if people are able to help those in need, then please make sure you maintain 2-metre physical distance, wash your hands and do not offer assistance if you are unwell.
People are allowed to go to the supermarket on their own, and it is okay to do this for someone else (e.g. for an older person who can’t go out).

If people have an urgent need for accommodation, they can call the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment Temporary Accommodation Service on 0508 754 163.
If financial assistance is required to use that accommodation, New Zealanders can call the Ministry of Social Development on 0800 559 009. Visitors are recommended to contact their local embassy or consulate.

Other important phone numbers include:

Call the free Government helpline 0800 779 997 or on 0800 22 66 57 (8am–1am, 7 days a week).

Call or text 1737 – free, anytime, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – to talk with a trained counsellor

Call Healthline 0800 358 5453

Call your local GP

Or call 111 in an emergency

If you want more information about the COVID-19 response go to

If you have concerns for other people struggling to follow the requirements of self-isolation, please let know.

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top